Applying For A K-1 Visa: Work With An Immigration Lawyer To Get Your Partner In America

Have you fallen in love with someone who is not a citizen of the United States? You may want to spend your life with this person but worry that you will be unable to do so because of the distance between the two of you. Although you may live on opposite sides of the world, you could potentially bring your partner to the United States and get married to him or her. However, because of the situation, you should talk to an immigration lawyer to find out exactly what steps you need to take.

Talk to Your Immigration Lawyer

Find an immigration lawyer and then meet with themto discuss your personal situation. The lawyer can let you know if any potential roadblocks are in the way. For example, there are currently travel limitations in some countries. Those from Somali, Syria, and North Korea are currently banned from entering the United States. If your partner is from one of these areas, attempting to get a K-1 visa would likely be impossible. The immigration lawyer can go over these situations with you and then proceed with helping you file a petition for the K-1 visa if your partner is not currently living in an area where there is a travel ban.

File a Petition For a K-1 Visa

The K-1 visa is a type of visa that is commonly handed out to partners of those living in the United States. If you are engaged to your partner, you could attempt to bring him or her into the United States with this visa. You would need to file the petition and pay filing fees. The fees can cost you more than $500, so be prepared to pay some money out of pocket. If you do not know how to complete the filing process, your immigration lawyer will assist you while making sure you have all the necessary documents when you submit your petition.

It can take several months for the visa to get approved. Some people wait longer than others, and the waiting game is often frustrating but worth it. An immigration lawyer will keep you updated on the status of the visa. If your partner gets approved for the K-1 visa, he or she can enter the United States and stay there for three months. At the end of the third month, you would need to marry your partner to allow him or her to stay in the United States.

If you are in love with a person who does not live in the United States, you should meet with an immigration lawyer and find out more about the K-1 visa. If you are ready to marry this person and have him or her in your life each day, you can start the filing process for this type of visa.